Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Final day in New York

Before leaving Oswego, we went to tour Fort Ontario. Fort Ontario was erected by Britain in 1755 to protect the east end of Lake Ontario. It was destroyed twice and then rebuilt - the first time was during the French and Indian War, the second was during the American Revolution. I have been to the fort many times as a child and Jim has also been in the past, but it was fun to go again. We were able to go through many of the buildings and walk much of the grounds. We both felt that major upgrades had been made to the displays and presentations.

Fort Ontario


We needed to be back in Buffalo the following day for our flight home, but chose to take a meandering route back to Buffalo that would allow us to drive by my grandma’s cottage on Seneca Lake where I spent lots of time as a child.

The front yard of the cottage on Seneca Lake


The pilings out in front of the cottage where I often swam


Another pic of the yard of my grandma's cottage


Before leaving the Seneca Lake area we drove past Hollowell Farms which was established in 1879 and owned by my Great Grandparents and where my grandmother grew up. I have memories of visiting the farm as a child.
 
Hollowell Farm


The farm  is currently rented to an Amish family who are taking meticulous care of the property.





No comments:

Post a Comment